To those unmarried and over 22 – ON VALENTINE’S DAY...
Many changes had occurred in the past 10-15 years for the modern day single. They are bombarded with reasons to remain single and desires to become married. Those who are single in American has grown from 30% to 50% of people here in the US. The average age to marry (in the past 10 years) has gone from 23 years for a woman to 26 and from 25 years for a man to 29. This dilemma has not made life easier for the single.
The church seldom has a place for the “after college” single. The over 22 year old doesn’t always have a place to meet with others the same age. Where do they go to meet singles their own age? What do they do with their own loneliness?
What does that mean to you as a Christian single? Your life becomes more difficult just from the difference in age to marry. First, it makes it more difficult to arrive into marriage as a virgin. It is also more difficult to meet other Christian singles. Are you as a single, doomed to remain single, to give up your beliefs to find other singles?
To survive in this new world as a Christian single you have to make a choice to follow God no matter how difficult life seems. Here are some simple guidelines to help you..
1. Know that the grass isn’t greener on the other side – marriage doesn’t promise you a better life.
2. Praise God in all things – everyday be thankful for the blessings you have.
3. Choose to be content as you are. Paul “learned to be content”. This may be a choice you have to make everyday.
4. Keep your prayer life solid. How much time do you spend with the Lord? Do you enjoy being in His presence? Do you look forward to being with God? Are you letting this time strengthen you each day?
5. Spend time in the Word. Start with the gospel of John, Psalms and Proverbs. Gradually, add in other books. Ask God to show you what you need to know to grow in Him.
6. Try to encourage another single. Have scriptures of hope that bring true life.
7. If you need to get out of the doldrums – fast and pray. Know there is nothing God cannot do. DO NOT GIVE UP.
8. Try to enjoy your life and do the things that you enjoy – travel, sports, and creative pastimes –in other words- have fun.
9. Never give up – If God hasn’t called you to be single, most likely you will marry, 95% of Americans do.
10.To help yourself emotionally, exercise at least 4 times a week and eat healthy. It makes a huge difference in how you feel.
Now, go out there this day and face this Valentine’s Day with a smile. :)